Friday 30 April 2010

More asparagus...

Dinner tonight courtesy of the wonderful Mr Simon Hopkinson's Week In Week Out, probably the second most beautiful cookery book I own. Of course, just because it's beautiful doesn't mean I've ever cooked a single recipe from it before, so tonight was a bit of an experiment.

This is what I was aiming for: Asparagus, Sour Cream and Herb Omlettes. My first attempt resulted in a pile of slightly raw, slightly charred scrambled egg. Lesson: when it says non-stick pan, it means it. The next attempt resulted in an only slightly split omelette, spilling its insides across the plate, but by my fourth one, I got a perfect little swiss roll of soft omelette, tart cream, fragrant herbs and grassy crisp asparagus. Sometimes it's not just the simple recipes that make you happy.

Of course, making mini quantities just for me resulted in my now having, in the fridge, a large bunch of tarragon, one of chives, and one of parsley. So... what to do with them? I may have a little idea of my own - but you'll have to wait and see for that!

3 comments:

  1. Two options with herbs: 1) have plants rather than bunches, much more cost-effective. 2) freeze them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apologies for double-posting but Miss Cay says it better than I could: http://www.domesticsluttery.com/2010/04/ask-miss-cay-what-can-i-do-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to have plants of basil and parsley, but have so far failed to fine tarragon plants in the supermarkets! Might try ice-cubes sometime - I always worry that it will 'dilute' the flavour of the herbs in some way!

    ReplyDelete